Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Today I Feel... Poopy

The Late Blooming Lesbian doesn't feel like writing something cute today. That's because I got my mind on the money and my money on the mind... (normally I'd look up a photo of Snoop Dog to go with that, but I don't even feel like doing that today).

Right after college (which was paid for by les parents) I married my now-ex-husband, and for pretty much 8 years I didn't have to worry too much about money.  Every month I would put money aside into our retirement accounts, some into savings, responsibly pay off any loans, set aside enough for us to go to the strip club... I have to admit that I was scared shitless to be on my own, when it came down to actually getting divorced.  I also have to admit that I got a nice amount of alimony for almost two years, and only recently began to feel the effects of not having that anymore.

I feel poopy, indeed, because at the moment I don't have enough money to live the way I "want to".  But you know what?  It is 5 degrees outside right now, and I have a home and a gas fireplace and I'm watching an episode of "The Ellen Degeneres Show" that I recorded using my Comcast DVR box.  I just drank a nice glass of wine, and am waiting for our buffalo burgers to cook.  I am wearing my warm and fuzzy Old Navy pj pants,  and just checked a text message on my cell phone.  You know what I don't have the money for?  To take my girlfriend out for sushi.  To buy a long-sleeved hoodie from the Soulflower catalogue.  To pull up the nasty rug in my living room and replace it with pergo.  You know what, I don't feel poopy... I feel ungrateful and spoiled!

When I am honest with myself I just want to make enough to pay my bills, donate to several nonprofits, and be able to treat myself and my loved ones without worrying about how I manage it.  I recently took my daughter to see a play version of "Aeosop's Fables", and I was reminded of the fable The Greedy Dog Who Loses His Bone.  The dog has a bone in his mouth, sees his reflection in a river and thinks it's another dog with a bone, and when he tries to get the other bone, he looses his own bone.  "The greedy may lose everything".  

No comments: