Thursday, January 10, 2008

How the L-Word Led to My Divorce


The start of L-Word Season Five has led me to reflect upon how that show ultimately led to my divorce - and I would bet there are more than a few of you out there who know what I'm talking about.
Poetically enough it was the very first season of the show which brought about my inevitable breakup with my husband. We actually began to watch it together, both of us intrigued for our own separate reasons (okay, of course we were both were giddy with excitement at the prospect of seeing hot girls making out Showtime-style, as opposed to the Skin-a-Max flavor).

At first my ex-husband (aka "father of my child" - the more gentle descriptor I learned in Mom's House, Dad's House) was in it for the sex scenes. But sweetly enough FOMC was drawn in by the drama, so we had some of the most invigorating discussions of our marriage as we dished over the storylines.

Yet as the season drew on, my life freakishly began to reflect what transpired on screen. One evening I sat at my computer, feverishly pouring my deepest fears into my journal - Do I want to stay married? Am I a lesbian? When the hell is Erika going to leave her husband for me??? In the same room as I was FOMC, taking in the latest episode of L-Word. Of all the dumbass luck, Jenny was right there, on screen, typing feverishly on her computer about her straight-girl doubts. FOMC looked up at me, worry and realization on his face as he asked "Is that what you're writing about?" That night was the first time I ever told him so clearly and honestly "I think I might be a lesbian", and 3 months later he had moved out.

Oh L-Word, how many more late-blooming lesbians will you give birth to? At least three other LBL friends of mine ended up being able to admit they were gay once they made it through a season of L-Word. Am I claiming this melodrama should receive all credit for these, and many other, straight-identified women coming to their senses? Please, there are dozens of other pieces of media that will cross their paths, further increasing their certainty, further opening them up to the possibilities, further reassuring them You are not alone. But L-Word sure did make it more fun.

No comments: